Award-winning author Peter Orner, a native Highland Parker and graduate of Highland Park High School, discusses his new book, a collection of stories and a novella that venture from the San Francisco Bay Area to Chicago to the East Coast. Orner offers a composite portrait in Maggie Brown & Others of what it’s like to be a person in the world, evoking the human experience with all the heaviness and lightness that make up a life. The New York Times calls Orner "A major writer" and "A master of his form" and the Chicago Tribune called Maggie Brown & Others "Mesmerizing." Francine Arenson Dickman, author of Chuckerman Makes a Movie, joins Orner in conversation. The event will be moderated by Alex Gordon.
Books will be for sale and the event will conclude with a book signing. This event is sponsored by the Alvin H. Baum Family Fund, and is free and open to the public.
- A New York Times Notable Book
- A Chicago Tribune Notable Book
- An Oprah Magazine Best Book of 2019
- Kirkus Reviews Best Short Fiction of 2019
- Longlisted for the Simpson/Joyce Carol Oates Prize$16.95ISBN: 9781631524851Availability: On Our Shelves Now....best to call before coming in to pick up.Published: She Writes Press - October 9th, 2018
"Love matters a little, but luck matters more."